SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

BRINGING FRIENDS TOGETHER AROUND THE WORLD

Fireflies

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Fireflies

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:59 am

I've seen Fireflies in the early evening here, when we walk our dogs. I remember them from my childhood- the wonder of seeing them, like sparks in the air, appearing out of nowhere!
Ah! The sweet memories flow through my brain, as I recall the simpler times, enjoying running and playing.
Sadly, the times have changed. Children are pushed to 'grow up'. Everything is rush, rush, rush! Electronics have replaced toys. Logic has replaced imagination. Reality has replaced dreams.
How I long for that freedom! Can we ever get that back?
Stop what you're doing for a moment. Reflect. Remember. And smile.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Re: Fireflies

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 am

Wow LFF!

I once wrote a poem about fireflies! Will try to find it to post here.

My grandkids love to catch them like I once did and put them in a jar. They would later turn them loose.

Seems as though there were not as many fireflies this year for some reason. Maybe the wetter spring may have had something to do with it.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 am

I haven't seen fireflies since I was a kid, or maybe I just haven't noticed them.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:58 am

Now that you have more time to enjoy the outdoors you no doubt will notice things that you remember from a kid. I know that is the way it is for me.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:54 am

Construction kills off the fireflies. Too much mowing in a field can do the same. When we moved to Cambridge, there were fireflies all around us -- I hadn't seen any for years, and there were so many. The man who owned the farm mowed -- that field was all tick-seed daisies that first summer there, and it was beautiful. He mowed while they were tall and in full bloom -- they never reappeared because he cut them before they could go to seed. Most of the fireflies also disappeared. Our lawn kept the fireflies, but not that many. We had small purple flowers around the lawn and the tiny bumble bees loved them. When we had someone mow, we told them to leave those, but eventually those men cut those down too, even with me firing them.. We called fireflies "lightning bugs" in the days when I was a child. We did as you all, LFF -- put them in jars and then release them at bed time so they could go free.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

When I got home from church about 45 mins ago I grabbed a cup of coffee and sat on the deck til dark.

I saw a few lightning bugs fly around around the deck. Beautiful!
gibby
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by gibby on Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am

we dont ge them here
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:10 am

Seems to me I read and fireflies/lightning bugs are only in America and Africa. Or was that mosquitoes.. not sure.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:19 am

Fireflies are found all over the world. http://www.firefly.org/firefly-habitat.html
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:49 am

Interesting! I'm glad they are all over -- it didn't mention Africa, but it does say all over except West of Kansas.

Must be mosquitoes that are not all over the world -- I wish they weren't here! But lightning bugs -- they are lovely. The female is the "little glow worm" of the song -- she has no wings and can't fly; just glows a greeting to a mate.
Peanut
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Peanut on Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:45 pm

My 5 year old granddaughter loves chasing the fireflies. We sometimes call them lightning bugs. I have noticed there aren't as many this year. Changes in weather patterns, probably. Yes it is a great childhood memory. I hope todays kids get to keep that memory, too. Sad to think another childhood fun time is slowly going away.rdrop
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 pm

We called them lightning bugs always when I was growing up, Me Shell. I hate that we may be losing them too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 25, 2017 10:34 pm