SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

A Tranquil Place Of Enjoyment

Happy Spring Shouters! (or Fall to our Australian friends)

You are not connected. Please login or register

What Does Christmas Mean To You?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:50 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Tell us what you like most about Christmas or if you like tell us about a special Christmas from your past. The longer the message the better. I would like this to be an inspirational story thread.

John 3:16 (KJV)
For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life.
https://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/portal.htm

2What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:19 am

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

When I was but a young boy, I was wild and full of fire.
My youthful years and teens were filled with challenge and desire.
I ran away from home and left my Mother and my Dad.
I know it grieved them so to think their only boy was bad........

Oh. I'm sorry, I got wrapped up in a song called The Master's call. I always loved that song.

Okay. On to the subject at hand. I remember very little, and I mean VERY little of my childhood before the car accident, at age 8, but I remember Christmases when we kids would wake to the smell of bacon and eggs for breakfast. We would rush down the stairs to see the Christmas tree (we always had a real tree, when we were growing up.) , all covered with lights, ornaments, and LOTS of tinsel (We'd be picking icicles out of the carpet for days afterward.), with all sorts of wrapped packages under the tree. We would kneel by the tree, give thanks, and wish Jesus a happy birthday. Then we'd rush through breakfast before running back to the presents. My Mom would give them to us, my Dad, and herself, one at a time, waiting till a present had been opened and gushed over, before allowing the next person to open theirs. As poor as we were, somehow, my parents were able to give us a lot of presents- socks, underwear, mostly things we needed, but there would always be one big present for each of us that Santa had dropped off at the door or something. We always knew that Mom and Dad were Santa, and in later years, we became Santas ourselves, as we were able to share in the joy of giving.

What Does Christmas Mean To You? Ezb3oiYWhat Does Christmas Mean To You? Eh91MZ2

3What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:16 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

My first Christmas experience was 6 months after Mama died. I was 4, sent to live with Mama's twin brother, his wife, her grandparents, parents, sister, brother, all in a huge house. I missed my family. The brother in this house teased me and I could never take teasing. Santa left a black doll for me and I was called a "- - - - - -" baby's mama. Because of the teasing, I hated the doll. I did like the little red boot filled with candy.
My next Christmas was with Daddy's third brother and his wife. They were good to me. Christmas eve, I heard bells jingling. A man and a lady were there, dressed all in red suits. They had a bag. My Aunt told me I should hide a gift someone had brought because Mr & Mrs Santa wouldn't give me gifts if I already had some .I recall quickly running to hide the little comb and brush set.
The Santa couple gave me a lovely teaset, a tiny red, ceramac boot filled with tiny candies, a set of ABC blocks. I can't recall if they gave me the little red wagon, or if I had it from the other Uncle & Aunt's Christmas. That was a happy time.
Daddy remarried and revealed to us that Santa wasn't real. I was terribly disappointed, but Christmas became a lovely time in our reunited household. I was with my brother and sister again. Soon another sister and 3 brothers were added.
Christmas meant fruit, nuts, candy canes, company, cards to be written out and sent, special foods and company. My daddy was a good, honest man who didn't believe in telling children untruths, so Santa was out of the picture.

What Does Christmas Mean To You? Joyous-Mouse-2-300x252

4What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:55 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Hmmmmm....a couple of sad yet in at least one way happy stories. Mixed emotions there for LFF and Joyous. I am so glad you shared these two stories and I know they have stuck with you all of your lives.

I will post something about my past Christmas soon. Right now gotta get things done here in the house. Always something to do seems like.

5What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:33 am

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Glad, take a break from housework long enough to tell us your Christmas memories, please!

Lightfoot, your Christmas memories sound like a good movie.

6What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:39 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I will Joyous....soon.

7What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:39 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Hopefully before Christmas?

8What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:23 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

joyous wrote:Hopefully before Christmas?

Here you go Joyous! I must be honest with the lack of time it is a copy and paste from a past facebook page so hope that is ok. I will tell everyone later about what Christmas means to me. It will be lenghtly.

My copy and paste from fb:

December 24, 2013 ·

50 years ago at this time I had one of the most memorial Christmases ever. I was a senior in high school and engaged to be married after graduation. Soon to be hubby was from Missouri and I from South Carolina. With permission from my parents I came to Missouri to meet my future in-laws at Christmas time. Somewhere before we arrived in the Nashville, TN area the heater went out in the 1957 Chevy car. And it began to snow. It was taking us a long time to travel and I was cold. At the time we did not know it (it was late afternoon and already dark) we were in the area of the ferry at Dyesburg TN (not sure if it is in existence any longer) and wanted to go across the Mississippi River on the ferry. At the time I55 was being built and we saw signs and road blocks not to enter. We would have been on a road that was not finished in the blowing snow and this was when cell phones were not heard of. We managed to turn around and came to a small motel and went inside. Future hubby called his parents in Poplar Bluff, MO and was told they would be there to get us. (I am estimating a 3 hour drive but can't remember). His mom said she would not allow us to stay over night in a motel....and I thanked her for that later down through the years. The motel lobby gave us coffee or hot chocolate to drink and before the evening was out the future in laws were at our side. I usually think about this memory at Christmas time and thought since it has been 50 years I would share it with you. And the heater all that was needed to fix was a new wire or something minor if I remember correctly. Hubby has been gone for 9 years now and his mom and dad even longer but oh to remember is nice. The last Christmas we spent together we chatted about that trip so many years before and how cold we were. We traveled a long way with no heater.

Please note this happened the year 1963 and now 53 years ago.

9What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:29 am

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Thanks, Glad. Your Christmas story was worth the wait, and a copy and paste is fine!

What Does Christmas Mean To You? Ezb3oiYWhat Does Christmas Mean To You? Eh91MZ2

10What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:24 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Glad, I remember reading this when first you posted it.
What better way to recall Christmas than this love story.

Thank you and Merry Christmas memories.

mChris

11What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:27 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Awwww thanks joyous and LFF!

12What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

When Bobby was in second or third grade (I forget which), the teacher had the class write this topic and say what Christmas meant to them. Bobby's answer was to quote as best he could, St. Luke's Gospel about it. Of course, he misspelled "angel" into "angle," but I saved that paper -- it's somewhere here. He was 7 or 8 years old.

What Does Christmas Mean To You? 8VL9m2p

What Does Christmas Mean To You? 10999401_10206853329964622_7290189173362892245_n

13What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:15 pm

Peanut

Peanut
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

mChris
a bit late due to being ill a few days ( I'm fine now : ).
Family, being together and happy memories, is Christmas to me.
I have learned we don't always think or believe alike, that's OK.
We love and respect each other.
The tree and Christmas music, are favorites. Watching the kids eyes light up, is special.
I hope you all had a great Christmas and your New Year is all you wanted.

What Does Christmas Mean To You? K1291010

14What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

I'm glad you're well now, Peanut. Merry Christmas. (This is only the third day of Christmas.)

What Does Christmas Mean To You? 10999401_10206853329964622_7290189173362892245_n

15What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:33 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Peanut, I love your Christmas thoughts.

Snowden, how dear are the savings from childhood.

16What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Peanut

Peanut
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Thank you, Joyous. I was fortunate to have a great childhood.
Funny how the cold didn't seem as cold, then.
Christmas Eve was going to church, and looking at neighborhood decorations. Sweet memories that I cherish.

17What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:07 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

Suddenly I am in and able to post again. Thank you, LFF!

18What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:29 pm

1- The son of God, Jesus Christ.
2- Down here on Earth's level.......I feel, it's become too commercial and we find more joy in just being together, having good foods to eat on, warmth, safety and good health!

19What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

The Christmas traditions are so special for each of us, I think. The biggest part of Christmas once we were in our teens, was Midnight Mass. We lived close to the church and could walk to the service, then my father's youngest sister and my mother's next-to-youngest brother, who were married to one another, would take us home. My father was waiting for us with the table covered with food. We ate breakfast of a sort -- light, although we had no supper before the church service. Usually we opened a present before going to bed. No three a.m. invasions on the presents by then; we opened the rest of them after breakfast, which was buckwheat cakes and sausages.

I had four brothers, but the oldest was married and lived with his wife and child and her parents after the war. He was 21 when my youngest brother was born.

20What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:05 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Snowden correct me if I am wrong. Were you from Massachusetts? I was watching a documentary about JFK over the weekend. Some family video that had been hidden until after his death.

21What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:05 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

Glad, my family landed in Maryland in the 1630's and that's where I am from. I raised my family in Maryland too. There is no Yankee blood in my background! LOL!

22What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:43 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Nor mine, Snowden. Some say Robert Morris, Revolutionary War financier, is our ancestor, but others say no.

23What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Peanut

Peanut
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

The year when my boys were 8 and 10, I didn't get to bed until 1 AM.
3 AM they were wide awake ! I was probably grumpy at that point, sent them back to bed---lol---one Christmas Eve I hope they've forgotten.

24What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:12 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Oh Peanut, trust me, they never forget our mistakes. The good stuff? Not so sure. 2lol

25What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:46 pm

Peanut

Peanut
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

exactly !!!

26What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

joyous wrote:Nor mine, Snowden. Some say Robert Morris, Revolutionary War financier, is our ancestor, but others say no.

Wonder why I thought Massachusetts?

One of the signers of the Dec of Ind was John Hart. He also fought in the Rev War. I did some research and I could belong to the Daughters of the Am Rev. Costly so I did not pursue it.

27What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:49 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

I could have joined the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Daughters of the Confederacy and the Ark and Dove Society, as I had ancestors in all three. My aunts and some cousins joined them, Addison may have joined Sons of the Confederacy when he was cleric in a church in South Carolina; he was eligible, of course, but I don't know that he joined. My family came here on the Ark or the Dove, those two ships that brought the first settlers to Maryland.

I didn't join any of those societies; I just don't like joining things. I don't need it to know who I am or who my ancestors were. It's nice to know, of course, but it is just a matter of knowing who we are for ourselves. It's really unimportant to anybody else.

28What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:55 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Very true, Snowden.

29What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:30 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I was told that we females could join the DAR.
At an earlier age, I admit to being slightly
impressed with the thought, but I grew up to
realize, we are ALL the creation of the same
Almighty God and belonging to His Son means most.
To love is to belong.

30What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:13 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

I think the DAR refusing to have Marian Anderson sing in their "hallowed hall" because she was black is the reason I didn't ever consider joining them. I loved hearing her sing; she had a magnificent voice. Color has nothing to do with talent; it was a bad decision on their part, and one I still find objectionable. God gave her that voice and talent, and hearing her sing was a joy. I had her albums, one where she sang 'Carman,' and I loved it. What a beautiful voice!

31What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I agree about joining clubs. I am happy with the fact I have ancestry that did important things but we all are equal in God's eyes so it does not matter what we accomplish in life as long as we do it to glorify Him.

32What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:40 am

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I wish my ancestors included Native Americans and people of color.

33What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:41 am

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

Well, I don't wish my ancestors anything different, but I'm really not all that interested in them, I'm afraid. Other than knowing which side of history they were on, I have very little curiosity about them.

34What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:25 am

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Snowden, neither do I really, but I admit to slight vanity at a young age. Perhaps because I lacked confidence.

35What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:20 pm

Snowden

Snowden
*Loving Memorial Member*
*Loving Memorial Member*

Well, we all go through that, I think, Joyous.

36What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:31 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

As soon as I can find the correct thread, in our myriad of topics, I'll start a new topic on our nationalities.

37What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

lightfootfan wrote:As soon as I can find the correct thread, in our myriad of topics, I'll start a new topic on our nationalities.

Yeah sometimes I think we have too many and I wish they were all together but then they would be way too long.

38What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:18 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

We would just get off topic so why bother.

39What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:46 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

joyous wrote:We would just get off topic so why bother.

Already started a thread: https://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/t8127-be-proud-of-your-heritage#207617

40What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:45 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Ah! SATW is off topic all the time....that is what keeps us alive. It use to bother me (long time ago) but I realized it was often times me that got topics off.

I am happy to have people to get the topics off.

41What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:48 am

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

on a cake, I personally like a buttercreme topic.

42What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:49 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

LOL don't you mean a buttercream topping?

43What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:57 am

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Lightfoot, our Glad is being persnickety, LOL
Personally, I prefer homemade fudge topping, made in an iron skillet and poured on a homemade yellow cake, like Mother used to make and like our cousin Carolyn makes for family reunions. Ahh, the stories we could tell.

44What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:11 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Oh joyous I need that recipe!

45What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:30 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Aren't Persnickities candy bars made with chocolate, nougat, peanuts, and persimmons?

46What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Did you see a persimmon this year with the shape of a spoon on the inside?

47What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:23 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Glad E Olah wrote:Did you see a persimmon this year with the shape of a spoon on the inside?

Nope. Where?

48What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:25 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Old Wives Tale LFF

A shape of a spoon inside a persimmon means a harsh winter with lots of snow digging.

49What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:37 am

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I hope no one saw one!

50What Does Christmas Mean To You? Empty Re: What Does Christmas Mean To You? Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:58 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]