SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

A Tranquil Place Of Enjoyment

Happy Spring Shouters! (or Fall to our Australian friends)

You are not connected. Please login or register

Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:36 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

At my house the 2017 has begun. A bit early but we are chancing it to see if we can save time. During the past week we have planted kale, lettuce, beets, spinach, carrots, and radishes. So far the seeds have not germinated yet.

Normally February is one of our coldest months sometimes resulting in much snow fall. This year is different. We have experienced up to 75 degrees temps which makes you wanna garden for sure. Long term forecast is below freezing temps so if the seeds have germinated by that time we will need to cover during frost predictions. It has been know we can receive heavy frost as late as early May so gardening in Missouri you must take a chance at times.

Remember those potato sprouts son and I planted back in October? Well yesterday I noticed some are coming up. This is an experiment in the making just to see if we can plant the potatoes in late fall and survive the winter freeze and still grow potatoes. This winter has been a mild one so maybe another year this experiment may not work but again we must take chances when it comes to gardening. I will say there have been times when we dig potatoes we may overlook the little ones here and there and those most always sprout the following spring. The same thing happens with onion sets. When onions are finished making the tops will die off and often times they will be overlooked as well. I have several spots of onions coming up since last year.

Some of you have seen my garden lay out. In older threads you will find pictures. As we go along this year there will be new pictures. Nothing new to see currently so will hold off on the pictures for now. I do want to point out that on the concrete cinder blocks we plant onions in the holes. You can plant up to 6 - 8 which are thinned out as you need the onions. Works very well and frees up space in your main garden. Also herbs can be planted in the holes. The blocks make nice garden plots. If I had enough money I would love to make my garden two blocks high to relieve some of the stress of bending so far down. Those of you with disabilities I do recommend at least a two block height. The higher you make it though the more soil you will need. Plain dirt can be placed on the bottom the good compost soil will go on the top. As the seasons go on remember to add leaves and other material to build up the soil.

Will update more information as time goes on. This post will be used for other forum sites. Enjoy gardening everyone. You all can grow produce even if you have to plant in pots. Gardening is very good for your health. Not only for exercise but helping your body live healthier.

John 3:16 (KJV)
For God so loved the world,
that he gave his only begotten Son,
that whosoever believeth in him should not perish,
but have everlasting life.
https://shoutaroundtheworld.forumotion.com/portal.htm

2Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:23 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Garden update 3/4/17

The seeds planted a few weeks ago are all up. We had below freezing temps a couple of nights this week so son made a tent of plastic to cover the plot. That was taken off today and the forecast is to be well above freezing at least for the next ten days. I planted onions in the holes of the cinder blocks.

Son and I also planted several rows of potatoes. I cut the potatoes and planted them and he covered the rows with mounds of dirt. If the potatoes from last fall make it we will have plenty.

I had a few purple potatoes left so I am taking them to a lady at church who wants to try them also.

3Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 am

margie52501

margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Can't wait to see the pictures of your garden this year Glad. I hope the weather stays the way it has been there. But they say this coming weekend, we're going to get a chance of snow and ice here.

Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden 2v2egez1dx6wY8w

4Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Yes snow is predicted for here also Sat.

5Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 am

margie52501

margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Did you get much snow there Glad. We got about an inch here so far.

6Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:38 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Not on Sat but last night we got enough to make the ground and trees white.

7Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:36 pm

margie52501

margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Sorry to hear that my friend. We had more snow the other day but will be gone by tomorrow I suppose. Hopefully this will be that last before spring gets here. We can only pray about that.

8Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:32 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I posted new garden pictures at https://www.facebook.com/pg/Glad-E-Olah-Gardening-Ideas-425293504276861/photos/?tab=album&album_id=859067027566171

When I have time I will post them here in the garden thread at SATW.  I think most can view the link (or at least I tried to keep it public)

9Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:42 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Sure looks like a lot of work to me!

Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Ezb3oiYGlad E Olah's 2017 Garden Eh91MZ2

10Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:15 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

In a couple of weeks we will be putting out a few things for a fall garden. Things like lettuce, spinach, radishes, turnips etc. We have begun to clean up some of the garden already.

Seems like there is always something in the garden to either do or pick.

11Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:35 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Yes Glad, that's one of the fascinations of gardening .
Always something to marvel at. I am constantly reminded that the earth yields forth food for our bodies just as the Creator planned.
Thank You, Father,

Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Joyous-Mouse-2-300x252

12Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:54 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Joyous I understand also....I thank God for my garden....and I believe that is the reason it does so well.

13Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:55 pm

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I'm sure I have fairies in my garden. For a start I expressed a wish to have wild violets in the garden. Two years ago they turned up en masse. Purple and white and they are spread round the orchard. Also today I saw fairy rings of miniature toadstools. There is something special about our orchard and it has a good feeling.
We are getting over run with brambles again and I cut back a load and put them on the bonfire. They fight back and you need good,strong gloves. minirose smwrr minirose

14Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:06 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Garden fairies are real! I hope you really do have them!
http://www.all-about-fairies.com/are-fairies-real.html

15Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:15 pm

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

When my daughter was small- about 6, she told me she saw little brown men in our hedge. She now denies it and says anything like that is "magical thinking" which is a psychiatric term!

16Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Nothing wrong with believing in faries....that keeps you young at heart. Many many many and many more years ago I believed in the tooth faries. I usually got a quarter and back then that would buy a soda and a candy bar.

17Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:05 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

You have to believe in the fairies to see them, or at least not disbelieve.

18Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:17 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I guess I'm maybe a realist, although I know Angels are real.
I believe there are evil spirits and as for Fairies, the Irish are rather keen on their legitimacy.
"There are more things under heaven than man can understand." (I'm not sure I have that right, but it is scripture.)

19Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:18 am

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

We have bought one of those night cameras that is movement activated and have it in the orchard. We have seen a hawk kill a pidgeon,pluck it and fly off with the carcass. Also muntjak deer-a whole family,and rabbits,foxes and lots of cats on the prowl. Its exciting as you never know whats coming next.
I'm still hoping to see fairies Glad lol!!! Anyway if you do have a garden I recommend getting one of these cameras and they are good on security too. ckn

20Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:38 am

Glad E Olah

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Thanks 2Anne and yes Joyous you have that right.

21Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:46 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

2Anne, is it possible to post one of your garden videos here ?

22Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:53 am

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

My husband said he can download stills from the garden camera onto my email but I don't know how to put them on. Maybe he can help but will try. The pics of that Sparrow Hawk are amazing.

23Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Camera in our Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:16 pm

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

See attachment

24Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:24 pm

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

We tried but failed to download photo of Sparrowhawk plucking the pigeon it had caught.

25Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:37 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Images have to be stored on an image storage site like Servimg or imgur, and then a link to the image can be posted. I don't think images can be downloaded to the forum. Glad will have to correct me if I'm wrong.

26Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:13 pm

2Anne

2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Thanks LFF but we have given up. Husband good on Computer but he's not heard of sitesyou mention.
We will have to leave it.

27Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:35 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Servimg.com and imgur.com are like photobucket.com, but free.
You join, open an account, and upload an image from your computer.  Open that image there, and it will give you links to the image.  Copy the BBC image code- not the linked BBC code.  Paste that copied code here in a thread.

Last edited by lightfootfan on Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

28Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:38 pm

lightfootfan

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

https://i.servimg.com/u/f50/12/70/31/12/aww10.gif
https://servimg.com/view/12703112/5
Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Aww10

Had to try 3 times to get the correct one on servimg because I haven't used it in so long. Have to choose the 'image' link from the BB codes.
I use imgur all the time, so I know which one to use there- the one that says BBCode ( message boards and forums).
Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden EDN8TVb

29Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Empty Re: Glad E Olah's 2017 Garden Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:32 pm

nell

nell
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

I tried a few times to download photos to no avail.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum