SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

BRINGING FRIENDS TOGETHER AROUND THE WORLD

If you have stumbled by Shout Around The World please take a few moments to read what is open to guests. There is much more to read once you join our group. And thank you for stopping by!

Tell Us About Your Day

Snowden

Re: Tell Us About Your Day

Post by Snowden on Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:51 pm

I think they are looking around because of the set date of July 18 through 22nd. They may have a Hospice House -- there was one in Virginia, I believe. But it's vacation time for most families and it could be that finding room is a challenge. I just hope they find somewhere! If I have to pay for a motel room, that would be expensive. I may go back to Norway with Addison in August, if he can arrange it. We talked about it this morning. It would be a permanent move. Then we have to get my clothes and pictures there. The rest of my things, with few or no exceptions, can be tossed or given to whoever may want them. It's unlikely; I would have to be entered into their eldercare system among other things. So we're just putting out ideas to consider.

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 pm

A move to Norway would be wonderful! Wouldn't it?
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:12 pm

In many ways, yes. Solrunn does love me, and that alone is a help. She takes care of her mother, who is failing. Well, she's 97 and not at all well. Solrunn wanted both their mothers with them. And all those cats and dogs! I love Roland, but I do miss my cat; I will anyway, but of all those cats they have, (nine cats!) one or two would surely be cuddling up to me from time to time. My Facebook profile picture has me with one of them. Two are not Maine Coons, and they both look like the one in that picture. And there is Catastrophe, the Norwegian forest cat. The other six are Maine Coons; four are the kittens I was there for when they were born.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 pm

I'd love to live in the land of the midnight sun!
When Dawn gets her disability, she'll probably move out, and then perhaps I should consider a move somewhere. I've lived here in Michigan all my life!
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:04 pm

I understand that Michigan is beautiful, but that's true of all the states, I guess. The Monsanto laws will end life on Earth if all Earth were stupid enough to follow them. No home farms, very limited number of animals permitted, NO BEEKEEPING!
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:56 pm

I can see how the monsanto laws could destroy us.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:55 pm

Good evening all. John and I went to the Farmer's Market this afternoon. Got some fresh tomatoes, green beans and lettuce. Also went to Dollar Tree and Aldis. Got a flag for our flag pole at Aldi's today.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Sounds good, Margie.

I think tomorrow will be busy for me; the doctor and his nurse are coming and the Hospice nurse will no doubt come as well. At 3:00 a woman is coming to talk to me about my visits to Israel during the 1980's. Apparently the nurse and social worker have been talking about it. Wouldn't it be strange if the book I wrote and still have stored here should be put in book form! I doubt it, but it would be nice. I have pictures, too. flying pigs
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm

That would be wonderful!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:51 pm

I hope your book happens, Snowden.

My usual day. Garden, doggies, My Polish lady's refrige needed cleaning.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:52 am

Home and trying to get settled back in....checked emails and face book....will glance at SATW then off to bed. Other forums and posting tomorrow.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:46 am

The sleep will have to wait! Inquiring minds want to hear all about the trip!
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:04 am

Good morning all. Yes Glad get some rest and do the things that need to be done. We can wait to hear about your wonderful trip my friend. Yesterday got a call from the Auditors office. I got my schedule for working the polls this year. I will be working in Sept, Oct and Nov and they have changed the place to vote from Ottumwa Baptist Church to the Wapello County Fire Department now. Which is just up the street from us.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:05 am

Good morning all. Yes Glad get some rest and do the things that need to be done. We can wait to hear about your wonderful trip my friend. Yesterday got a call from the Auditors office. I got my schedule for working the polls this year. I will be working in Sept, Oct and Nov and they have changed the place to vote from Ottumwa Baptist Church to the Wapello County Fire Department now. Which is just up the street from us.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:53 am

Took Chipper for a leisurely walk on the boardwalk. Going to take a nap now.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Well, I posted here earlier and my computer ate it. It's a muggy day that is now getting sunny and a bit of a breeze, so perhaps it will be clear and the air better again. Roland woke me at 8:00, standing by the door to go outside. I let him out and after a while he came in, only to do the same thing again a few minutes later. The doctor and nurse came to check on me, and the time was noon without any sign or sound of a living creature here other than the dog. So I phoned Ben to make sure he was alive and he was also sick -- that had been Roland's problem, as he told me a bit later. Roland was so ashamed I knew something had gone wrong for him. Poor dog.

Glad, welcome home! I hope your trip was lots of fun and that you and your mother enjoyed seeing one another. I enjoyed the picture of the two of you.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:17 pm

Margie, I'm very proud of your civic spirit.

My boring day:
Three guesses.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 pm

Letting out the dogs, watering the garden and ironing.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:15 pm

LOL Snowden, you know me so well.
Today was more setting out Parsley,
Cilantro, peppers, yellow squash .
Yes on letting the dogs out, twice.
We had another beautiful rain around
7:30ish. As I put the two dogs inside,
I saw dark, threatening clouds and
considered, Should I stay there, or
will I be able to get home ? The desire
to be home won . I literally ran part
way and made it here before rain fell,
and wind began.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:46 am

No I am not rested yet but feeling more rested each day. Lots of catching up to do I am so behind on SATW and of course the other sites. Catching up on FB and those of you are friends there can get an idea of what's going on from my page.

Snowden will be happy to know I have nephews visiting the Holy Land. I will try to share some of their videos if I can copy them. One nephew was re-baptize and it was in the Jordan river. How awesome!

My visit with my mother was way to short but at least I got to see her and hug and kiss her! She is healing well from her fall but she may never live alone again. Not sure. I want to go and see her again before too long. I know one thing for sure I am looking to purchase an Ipad to help me communicate with internet friends. I have a birthday coming up in a few weeks and I will buy me one for my present to myself.

I have beans here that were picked while I was gone and cucumbers! Will pickle the cucumbers and give some of the beans away because I do not have the time right now to can them. Sent some home with brother in law when they brought me home the other night and yesterday gave daughter some. May even take some to church Sunday. If I don't have enough to can that is ok....the ones I give away will be appreciated and who knows....God may just see to it they multiply beans for a long time. Remember the story in the Bible of the little boy and his loaves of bread and fish?

It rained on us most of the way to FL and on the way back. And now it is raining here in MO but that keeps us from watering. God is good!
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:27 pm

I'd give a lot to be able to hug and kiss my mother again, Glad. I know it was worth the whole trip for that.

Beans sound good. We used to grow lima beans, and my mother insisted on the ones that grow up the bean pole; she said they were the best. We grew other beans too; string beans for one. I used to help break the ends off of them -- we all did. Gardens are lovely. I miss being able to garden. My brother still has his garden and he will be 90 in December. The deer, rabbits and turtles will miss him when he stops gardening!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:10 pm

Speaking of gardening, yep, that was most of my day, again.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:09 pm

My brother and I used to be the gardeners when we were growing up. He still is and will be 90 in December. We had fun with it -- in spite of the fact that our garden had a good many copperhead snakes living there. Oddly, they only seemed to come out when our father was in the garden. Well, our mother too, but she simply killed them and went on with the gardening. My father was afraid of them, and justly so. They are deadly poisonous. I used to tease my mother for simply killing them and going on with the work -- until she moved to Florida and the snakes she treated that way were coral snakes, a much deadlier breed. I was glad when she came back to Maryland.

I had a large black snake, a black racer, in Cambridge. He lived in the well house and was beautiful. Since my mother had always made sure we had at least one blacksnake to keep away most of the poisonous snakes, I knew this was a blessing. We named our blacksnake "Charlie" when we were growing up. We also had bats that spent the day hanging behind the shutters and came out to hunt mosquitoes at night. I loved it when I was on the porch and a bat slipped down and swooped off for a night of hunting. We took very good care of them!
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Those sound like wonderful memories, Snowden. Sadly, I don't have many memories left.

This morning, I took Chipper for a walk by the next apartment complex ( maybe mile there and back). Around 11 a.m., Dawn took him for a walk by the Perrigo plant (about mile total), and this afternoon, we took Chipper for a walk along the boardwalk (about another mile) He was getting a little tired, when we brought him home. We watched a couple people go 600 feet back and forth across the river on the Riverfront zip line, and one person do the 60 foot gravity drop. Chipper got lots of petting from kids along the way, and some adults too.
That's pretty much it for my day.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm

I am still tired from the trip but resting more each day. I made a gallon of dill pickles today (I think I already told it here or at least facebook. My postings are running together....don't remember what I tell where now. Guess I too am getting old!
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:15 am

Morning all. Got up early but ready to go back and rest up a bit. Very cool here this morning. I love it.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:17 am

Nice weather here today- currently a breezy 68F/17C. Took Chipper out a few minutes ago, after having pancakes, eggs, and Glucopage for breakfast. Will take Chipper to Family Farm and Home later to get him some Frontline Plus. Going to take a nap right now.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Our weather is cooler today and I too love it!

Went to work at part-time job today and it was not as bad as I thought. I could have worked longer but saved the extra work for one day next week.

Will work in the garden when it is shady.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:27 pm

Snowden, your childhood sounds so special. Not many children have such experiences today.

Chipper seems to get plenty of exercise which means Chipper's Master also gets sufficient exercise.

Margie it has been quite nice here too today. A beautiful day for sitting on the porch and listening to birds sing. I did very little after picking lettuce and squash for a salad.

Glad, I would guess you're simply tired from to trip rather than being old.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:16 pm

This morning, I took Chipper for a walk on the boardwalk. Was 700 paces one way, and 700 back. Kept it a little short this morning. Anyway, that's 1400 paces, my paces are about 2 feet in length. That makes 2800 feet. There's 2640 feet in a half a mile, so I walked him about a half a mile. Told him Papa was pretty sore this morning, so we came home and rested.
This afternoon, I went to my Mom's. My Sister and I put up a screen on the doorway to the garage for my Mom; then we installed a headlight on my Mom's electric scooter, and after that, moved stuff up to my Sister's garage for another garage sale this weekend. Came home about 5, took Chipper out, came in and fed us. Relaxing now.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:03 am

Well at least you are walking....I should do the same but I don't....guess I get my exercise weeding the garden.

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:01 am

Went to the podiatrist today. Cost me 50 Bucks to have him trim my toenails, and scrape under and around them.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:27 pm

That's what I need -- toenails clipped. Tomorrow I am to get an x-ray so I can stay at the posh "hotel" (really an assisted living facility where Hospice will send me next month). The technician will bring the equipment here to take the x-ray.

The woman Hospice minister visited today and before she arrived the volunteer beautician (?) arrived and cut my hair. She really cut it short this time! It feels like the back is really curly, but it's too short to tell if it's waving or curling.

And I broke half a tooth off one of my molars; no pain, no idea what happened to the piece that came off (but a leery feeling that I must have swallowed it) and no dentist that I know of. At my doctor's suggestion, I called his secretary last Friday to ask for help. She had left early and hasn't bothered to call. Of course, she could be on vacation. I have no way of knowing that.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:46 pm

Went to my Mom's this afternoon. Helped get most the stuff set up for this weekend's garage sale.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:09 pm

My problem is recalling what I did with "My day."
I keep a journal of sorts, such as writing down important things, assuming I can recall what I did. Usually gardening, a load of laundry, a walk in the park once in awhile.

I am a conundrum. I feel guilty when I spend a lot of time online because there are so many other chores I should be doing. I feel guilty when I neglect time online because my relatives and friends post things about their lives and I miss it. I miss someone's birthday. I forget to harvest a neighbors crops.

Have a good evening, Shouters.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Don't feel like the lone stranger, joyous. I've forgotten more things than I can remember!
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Well, Joyous, until you become twins or triplets, you are limited to doing only what one person can do in a day. You shouldn't feel guilty -- you accomplish a lot. On the other hand, I accomplish nothing of value anymore and feel no guilt. I do what I can, which is next to nothing.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:00 am

Joyous, never feel you spend to much time on the computer. Of the computer is something that makes you happy then go for it. Your chores will not mind at all. I have things I need to get done too and I know I will eventually get them done.
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:31 am

Well, it's morning, which is good in that we've all made it through the night. But mornings are most unpleasant for me lately. I have one highlight for them, though. At 9:00 Columbo is on Hallmark Movies & Mystery channel. Forget Perry Mason! Columbo is an all-time favorite. I miss a good portion of it usually, but it's taking up two hours to accommodate all the ads and still have all the clues. The other channels cut more. Of course, if I can figure it out again so it's easy, I do have Netflix, with no ads. So that's something to look forward to. Many shows I've enjoyed over the years.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:51 pm

All of you create a bright circle around me and bring joy to my life.
My garden would become shambles if I didn't spend time pampering
it. Glad, you know all about that. There are SO many people I would
like to call, but when I think I'll call one, I remember I haven't called
the others in ages, so none of them get called. Fortunately for me,
my oldest niece called today from Auburn, WA. We had such a fun
conversation. She and her husband are very good to me. They made
my trip to England, Scotland and Ireland possible, and other joys.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:06 pm

Got new rims on the front of my car today:
Snowden

Post by Snowden on Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:47 pm

That's lovely, Joyous.

And, LFF, the car is a beauty!
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:01 pm

Thank you, Snowden. But I only had new rims put on the front, and brake pads on the back.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:03 am

Hello all. I forgot to mention that a week ago I got a package in the mail. I had ordered a Blood Pressure Unit and some baby aspirin for John. This was through our Health Insurance and you get 50 points every 3 months and don't pay a thing for what you order. Also got a big vanilla envelope in the mail today from one of my penfriends. I won a contest on my "Pals over Fifty" Contest. I didn't realize I was the only one that entered the contest. I got lots of stationary and stickers to. Took pictures of them altogether to. Had our friends Kenny and Brenda come to visit us today. My neighbor Becky cleaned out her closet a few weeks ago and gave me some lovely blouses for spring, summer and winter. So I had to clean out my closet and Brenda came and got what she wanted from me today.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 am

Margie I love to get clothes from people who no longer want them....then I clean out my closet and either give stuff away or take it to the thrift stores as a donation. It is time to clean out once again.

I picked kale yesterday afternoon and want to dry it for seasoning later in the year. Most of my beans were picked while I was gone and given away so will wait on the second harvest to can some. Going to make pickles this afternoon.

Off to work this morning. Still need to catch up on a few things that would have been done while I was gone.

Weather is still nice this morning. We need rain though.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:12 pm

Nice front rims, Lightfoot, but aren't the rear wheels jealous ?

Margie, all my life I have been excited to get Care packages.
The fact that clothes have been worn bothers me not a whit.

Glad, you seem like your regular self again. Welcome back.

My day, aside from a quick trip to the $ Tree, was much like any other day.
Laundry, dogs, garden.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Thanks, joyous! Had my lugnuts re-torqued today, and asked the manager if I can get a deal on the other 2, when I can afford them. He said we'll see what we can work out.
Went to 2 good wills, and a Salvation Army Store today to try and find shirt and pants for a visitation tomorrow. Found nothing big enough. I could order from Omar's, but wouldn't get them in time. Will have to wear nice shorts tomorrow.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:21 pm

I'm very impressed with the Men's fashions at Omar's. flying pigs
It must be a very casual viewing if shorts are acceptable. I like that type Wake.
I'm sad that you have this to do tomorrow. Is it a close friend ?
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:05 pm

It's the Mother of a friend of Dawn's that she hasn't seen for years, so I have no idea what to wear. I don't know the people. I'm 'escorting' Dawn. Why doesn't her boyfriend take her? You may ask. He's not going to drive 60 miles to a visitation for someone he doesn't even know....
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:52 pm

Sorry to hear that Dawn's boyfriend won't be coming to the visitation. That's great that you're taking her LLF. Had to laugh at the picture of the elephant with the big pants. That's not you.. Today stayed at home since I was out yesterday doing things. Like went to the youngest son Jason's and he gave me cans and a few dollars so we could have something to drink here. Then to the Lord's Cupboard to get some food. Then to the Can Dew to get money for the cans. They were crowded and I was there over a half and hour or so. Then for the store and get a few things and then home again. Had to turn on the ac here, weather warmed up. Did get some rain last night and a lot of wind. It was windy here all day yesterday. Hard to handle the van with that darn wind blowing...
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:03 pm

Took Dawn to the visitation. Her friends were really surprised and happy to see her. Had lunch at Golden Corral. Shouldn't go at lunch time. Place was crowded, and spaces between tables are too small. I don't like people walking that close to my food. Came home, took Chipper out, and chilled the rest of the day. Will be gone all morning tomorrow at the garage sale.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Hope the yard sale is going good for your mom LFF

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:44 am