SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

BRINGING FRIENDS TOGETHER AROUND THE WORLD

If you have stumbled by Shout Around The World please take a few moments to read what is open to guests. There is much more to read once you join our group. And thank you for stopping by!

A Favorite Food From Your Childhood

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

A Favorite Food From Your Childhood

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

We all have something our mothers or grandmothers prepared for us that we normally do not prepare now. I thought it would be interesting to chat about some of these food memories.

Every Sunday we would come home from church and fry chicken and peel potatoes for mashing, chicken gravy and green beans. Sometimes slaw or salad. Today I come home from church to warm up left overs from the night before or quickly boil a hot dog. Seems as though family meals are not the same as they use to be. Even though I do fry chicken it is normally on a week evening and hardly ever on a Sunday.

By the way my mom would cut up a whole chicken for 5 kids and dad and herself. There was always plenty to go around. We would have buttermilk biscuits often with our chicken meal too. We never went hungry and there usually were not any left overs except when we had spaghetti for my mother has Italian blood and she always made huge pots of spaghetti with meatballs at that. She would cook the sauce all day long using tomato paste and tomatoes.
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Re: A Favorite Food From Your Childhood

Post by 2Anne on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 am

I have loved reading about Glad's favorite foods.
I recall Christmas dinner and the turkey. We had little food as kids as my mother was a miser and only filled her own plate and my dad's to keep him happy. However on Christmas day we were allowed a second helping of turkey and this was such a big deal I never forgot it.
Also loved the custard at school dinners. These cost about 9 cents a day and it was the only decent meal I got. All the other kids turned their noses up I but I loved them. Now I can afford to eat well but with being fat and diabetes have to be very sparing and careful. scale scale ckn
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks 2Anne! I went off my diet today and ate 2 chili dogs. I remember growing up in South Carolina there would be street side hot dog stands in uptown Spartanburg. Just little stands that would serve you a nice chili dog smothered with onions. Every once in a while I 'gotta have one or two but they are never as good as I remember them to be from those stands. Must be something about eating food that is cooked outside. You would wonder why with all the stuff flying around in the air but I am still here from having eaten those foods from way back then.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 pm

By the way 2Anne.....I am glad you are able to eat anything your heart desires. Sorry you had some un-pleasant memories of your childhood.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I remember when I was younger my mom would fix us eggplant and it was wonderful. She also fixed lobster and chicken to. For dessert it was bread pudding. Which is a English dish. Our neighbor next door would bring us rabbit once in a while for dinner to. My grandma on my dad's side when we went to visit her and Grandpa she would make us one big meal which was fried chicken, mash potatoes with home made gravy, biscuits and a vegetable. . But my mom tried to make my Grandma's gravy but it would never turn out on hers. I finally got it right one day and called my mom to brag. She say I'm proud of you. Those were the good ole days.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:19 pm

I remember when I was younger my mom would fix us eggplant and it was wonderful. She also fixed lobster and chicken to. For dessert it was bread pudding. Which is a English dish. Our neighbor next door would bring us rabbit once in a while for dinner to. My grandma on my dad's side when we went to visit her and Grandpa she would make us one big meal which was fried chicken, mash potatoes with home made gravy, biscuits and a vegetable. . But my mom tried to make my Grandma's gravy but it would never turn out on hers. I finally got it right one day and called my mom to brag. She say I'm proud of you. Those were the good ole days.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:22 pm