SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

BRINGING FRIENDS TOGETHER AROUND THE WORLD

A Favorite Food From Your Childhood

Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

A Favorite Food From Your Childhood

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:18 pm

We all have something our mothers or grandmothers prepared for us that we normally do not prepare now. I thought it would be interesting to chat about some of these food memories.

Every Sunday we would come home from church and fry chicken and peel potatoes for mashing, chicken gravy and green beans. Sometimes slaw or salad. Today I come home from church to warm up left overs from the night before or quickly boil a hot dog. Seems as though family meals are not the same as they use to be. Even though I do fry chicken it is normally on a week evening and hardly ever on a Sunday.

By the way my mom would cut up a whole chicken for 5 kids and dad and herself. There was always plenty to go around. We would have buttermilk biscuits often with our chicken meal too. We never went hungry and there usually were not any left overs except when we had spaghetti for my mother has Italian blood and she always made huge pots of spaghetti with meatballs at that. She would cook the sauce all day long using tomato paste and tomatoes.
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Re: A Favorite Food From Your Childhood

Post by 2Anne on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:04 am

I have loved reading about Glad's favorite foods.
I recall Christmas dinner and the turkey. We had little food as kids as my mother was a miser and only filled her own plate and my dad's to keep him happy. However on Christmas day we were allowed a second helping of turkey and this was such a big deal I never forgot it.
Also loved the custard at school dinners. These cost about 9 cents a day and it was the only decent meal I got. All the other kids turned their noses up I but I loved them. Now I can afford to eat well but with being fat and diabetes have to be very sparing and careful. scale scale ckn
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks 2Anne! I went off my diet today and ate 2 chili dogs. I remember growing up in South Carolina there would be street side hot dog stands in uptown Spartanburg. Just little stands that would serve you a nice chili dog smothered with onions. Every once in a while I 'gotta have one or two but they are never as good as I remember them to be from those stands. Must be something about eating food that is cooked outside. You would wonder why with all the stuff flying around in the air but I am still here from having eaten those foods from way back then.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:18 pm

By the way 2Anne.....I am glad you are able to eat anything your heart desires. Sorry you had some un-pleasant memories of your childhood.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:17 pm

I remember when I was younger my mom would fix us eggplant and it was wonderful. She also fixed lobster and chicken to. For dessert it was bread pudding. Which is a English dish. Our neighbor next door would bring us rabbit once in a while for dinner to. My grandma on my dad's side when we went to visit her and Grandpa she would make us one big meal which was fried chicken, mash potatoes with home made gravy, biscuits and a vegetable. . But my mom tried to make my Grandma's gravy but it would never turn out on hers. I finally got it right one day and called my mom to brag. She say I'm proud of you. Those were the good ole days.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

My daddy would take his rifle and head into the woods just as dawn broke. He would come home with 4 or 5 squirrels/ He cleaned them and the following day we had them either fried with pan gravy, or maybe stewed with dumplings added. I can tell you, it was very good eating.
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by 2Anne on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:34 am

Wow Joyous, you can come into our garden anytime with your gun and have as many squirrels as you like. We are infested with them. I haven't heard of anyone eating them before but rodents are eaten ie guinea pigs and for the really hungry have heard rats are tasty!! 2lol
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:24 am

Joyous reminds me of something and South Carolina holds a clue.

Late hubby (my boyfriend at the time the following took place) went squirrel hunting while I was in school one day.  I was a senior in high school and he had been discharged from the Navy a few months prior.  He brought about 5 squirrels to my parents home and dressed them and placed them in salt water to soak.  Salt was a good thing to help take blood and the wild taste out of the meat.  My mother took one look at the sink and said: "Bill come in here and take these squirrel heads out of my sink!"  Bill was an avid hunter and squirrel heads were eaten in his home state of Missouri.  Needless to say my mother learned something new that day and to this day will mention it on occasion.  No, she did not try eating the heads but she did allow them to be fried in the skillet.  Mother grew up in the hills of Pennsylvania and my grandpa went into Canada to go bear and moose hunting.  She knew the taste of wild game was delicious but never the heads of squirrels.  I still remember Bill taking the cooked heads and pounding them with a small hammer to get the insides out.  Nope, that was never for me but it did not make me sick to watch him eat them.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:29 pm

LOL Actually 2Anne, squirrels are cleaner than pigs.
Pigs have no sweat glands and toxins remain in their body.
Squirrels are Herbivores, not Carnivores.
The meat has no wild taste. It has a rather light taste.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:38 pm

My Mom made the best potato pancakes ever!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Cracklin cornbread
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:35 pm

My mom would make oatmeal for us when the weather turned cold. I love the smell and we still have oatmeal here now to.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 am

My mother made cinnamon toast.....butter one side of bread.....add about a teaspoon of sugar (she used brown sugar but white sugar is ok) on top of butter....sprinkle with cinnamon and put in broiler of oven until sugar bubbles and the bread is golden brown.....don't let the toast get cold.....better if you eat it warm.

I make this every once in a while because this is not a diabetic food at all. Sure is good though.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:30 am

Chicken(Grown and killed and plucked in our own yard) fried in a big ole cast iron skillet and gravy made from the browned, crusty drippings. Always with biscuits made by Mother or my older sister, Margaret.

Last edited by joyous on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To add the biscuits.)
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by 2Anne on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:17 pm

I loved custard at school dinners. It was thick,sweet,yellow and creamy. Always had a second helping if I could. Some of the kids hated it and I never could understand why?
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:28 pm

2Anne, I rarely had school lunches, but during the WWII our school gave us biscuits made with Graham flour and they had peanut butter inside. We were country folk and never had peanut butter. Therefore, I was delighted when we had it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:30 pm