SHOUT AROUND THE WORLD

BRINGING FRIENDS TOGETHER AROUND THE WORLD

Weather For 2018

lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Re: Weather For 2018

Post by lightfootfan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:32 pm

You know The Wizard of Oz is fiction, right?

Yes, I understand.

joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:02 pm

NO ! Next you'll be telling me "It's a Wonderful Life" wasn't James Stewart's real life story!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:04 pm

candle

Good night!
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:11 pm

Okay. I won't tell you that. Good night!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 am

Lightfoot, you have a great sense of humor.
I like that in a person.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

@joyous wrote:Lightfoot, you have a great sense of humor.
I like that in a person.

I know some people who would disagree with you on that ☺
Went with Dawn to see her surgeon. Saw his assistant instead. He said she's doing well, answered some questions, and took her stitches out. Left a staple in. I'll pull that out tomorrow. I'm too tired. I also took our outside Christmas lights down, and put them away, and assembled a new coat rack.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:56 pm

You should feel a sense of accomplishment.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:22 pm

@joyous wrote:You should feel a sense of accomplishment.

I do. Thanks!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:26 pm

As you well should. Bravo!
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:57 am

in the upper 40's here today. Much cooler tonight and tomorrow.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:03 pm

Upper 40s here too. I hoped for a walk in our Metro Parks.
Then I saw rain falling. Bummer!
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:30 pm

Mid 40's here today. Cooling down now.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:52 am

Chilly here, apparently overcast.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 am

37F/3C here, and our forecast says Partly sunny, with a high near 40. North wind around 6 mph.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:53 pm

We had sun part of the day. A garden walkabout was pleasant. I spied a pair of ducks swimming upstream in our creek.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:54 pm

Brisk wind here today. Our temperature has remained pretty steady in the mid 20's, with cloudy, but bright skies. There have been light, intermittent snowflakes all day, after the inch or so we got last night.
Everything is covered in white again!
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:27 am

cold today but at least the sun is shining
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:27 am

Lightfoot, pretty much the same weather report here as in your area, temp mid 20s, intermittent sunshine.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:18 pm

29F/-2C here. Our forecast says A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. West southwest wind around 7 mph.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:06 pm

in the 30's and windy here.
margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:07 pm

margie52501
*FORUM OWNERS*

Post by margie52501 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:08 pm

joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:24 pm

Thermometer says 42 degrees, mostly sunny, wind kicking up.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:34 pm

Temperature reached 42F here today. Had strong winds and 34, when I took Chipper for a walk this morning.
Tonight's forecast says Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. West wind 5 to 10 mph., and tomorrow's says Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 15 by 5pm. Wind chill values as low as zero. Northwest wind 8 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:17 am

The weather here today will be slightly different from yesterday, as our forecast tells us Snow showers, mainly after 1pm. Temperature falling to around 17 by 4pm. Blustery, with a west northwest wind 9 to 14 mph increasing to 15 to 20 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible. Our current temperature is 35F/2C, and falling. We have a light Westerly breeze at 8 to 10 mph- not bad right now.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:41 pm

we had weird weather today......a bit of sunshine and a bit warmer....then around 1 pm started to rain and then the temp dropped and the rain became snow.....around 4 pm we had a peek of sunshine again and then the temp started to drop even more. Guess ole man winter must be returning. And tomorrow is ground hog day.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:02 am

14F/-10C here this morning. Our forecast says Snow showers, mainly before 1pm. High near 17. Wind chill values as low as -2. West wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around an inch possible. Tonight, A 50 percent chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. South southwest wind 7 to 10 mph., then a high of 32 tomorrow.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:37 am

sunny this morning and cold!
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:46 am

Groundhog Day 2018: Punxsutawney Phil Sees Shadow, Predicts 6 More Weeks of Winter

Jackson Jack saw his shadow also today. I was hoping for an early spring.....time will tell.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:50 am

If the groundhog sees his shadow, we have 6 more weeks of winter. If he doesn't see his shadow, we have 6 more weeks of winter. Go figure!
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by 2Anne on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Wet and dark today but just a month to the start of Spring in March. There are snowdrops out in the garden and the daffodils are in bud.
I've been in all day and had a friend round to share low cal ginger beer this afternoon. We are both weight watching.
More rain predicted tomorrow and snow next week. Nice to stay inside and be warm and cosy. ckn
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

2Anne, I'm green with envy and yellow with jealousy.
I would like to see Snowdrops and Daffodils here. I
really am glad for you.

Groundhogs everywhere saw shadows. I really have doubts
about a groundhog's ability to predict weather. Our paid,
Weather persons can't even get it right. 2lol

It's bitter cold here unless you can find a corner
with sun shining in it, but protected from wind, like
Angel did when I let her outside.
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by 2Anne on Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:27 am

What are groundhogs Joyous? Please explain.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:53 am

Groundhog
The groundhog, also known as a woodchuck, is a rodent of the family Sciuridae, belonging to the group of large ground squirrels known as marmots. It was first scientifically described by Carl Linnaeus in 1758.More at Wikipedia.
I might add that they don't taste very good. I remember when my Dad had my Mom cook one years ago. Maybe they taste better now.
We're at 20F/-7C here right now, and our forecast says A chance of snow before 10am, then snow likely after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 33. South wind 10 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible today, but a couple more inches tonight, and maybe a couple more tomorrow.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:54 am

You have to soak the ground hog in salt water to draw out the wild taste from the meat. The water has to be white with salt and soak over night in either ice added or in the frig.

I have eaten or prepared several in my past days but nothing to be bragging about. My late hubby had a lot of Indian in him and he did a lot of hunting. I remember those wild game were appreciated when we did not have much money coming in.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:15 pm

2Anne, Lightfoot answered more accurately than I could have. What I can add is this. Groundhogs sneak out of tunnels, which they dig underground, and devour gardens. Therefore it is a battle between them and us. I wouldn't mind terribly if they simply ate a few veggies, but no. They must sample several lovely tomatoes, ruining them for humans, and move on to another. The same with small zucchini, etc.
As for eating them, I have no recall of tasting one. I assume they are rather like the O'Possum, which is very greasy. They are herbivores and therefore a clean meat.
The only bone I ever broke was caused by a Groundhog tunnel. I was pulling weeds, put my weight on my right foot, not aware the tunnel was underneath. As I leaned to the right my foot sank into the tunnel, sending me sprawling backwards, naturally throwing my hand back , landing on it with my full weight it fractured.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:28 pm

As I recall, Ground Hog meat is indeed greasy.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:44 pm

Yes it is a greasy meat. The salt water helps and also boiling it for a while then throwing that water out and boiling again to draw out the fat.

As far as destroying gardens.....never seen one in my garden but I have seen squirrels and rabbits which can damage gardens too. Why did God make these critters? Only He knows the answer but they were created for a reason. I pray that He protects my garden every year and yes some of it is destroyed but there is always plenty to eat fresh.....maybe not for preservation but for fresh. I must blame the heat and dry summer weather on part of smaller yields in my garden and not only the wild critters that come around.
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by 2Anne on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:21 am

Sounds like groundhogs are a real nuisance to gardens. Our main problem here is rabbits. I have given up growing veg as they scoffed the lot. Also we get deer in the garden who also like to eat veg. The deer are partial to leaves off the pear trees as well.
No rain today but cool at 39F and still very damp out from all the rain yesterday.
Have to do lunch as mother in law and husband need feeding. Husband doing work today which I'm not pleased about as it's the Sabbath.
Keep warm everyone and watch them darn Groundhogs lol!! oops bearwl
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:55 am

As I recall, Australia also had trouble with rabbits, many years ago, and that's why they introduced the Dingo to their country.

We've had snow all night, and it's expected to last another 7 hours yet before we get a break. Temperature here is 24F/-4C, and our forecast says Snow, mainly before 1pm. Patchy blowing snow between 10am and noon. Temperature falling to around 17 by 5pm. West northwest wind 10 to 17 mph becoming north in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 3 to 6 inches.
2Anne
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by 2Anne on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:07 am

The Dingo is native to Australia and was not introduced. It was the man- made virus Myxematosis that wiped out their rabbit population as they were such a nuisance. This disease spread to the UK but the rabbits have now recovered and are back to being a pest. Interfering with nature has serious consequences.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:56 am

Thank you 2Anne! I was sure off on that one!
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:44 pm

Baking the Groundhog or O'possum in the oven takes care of a lot of the fat.

Lightfoot, as usual, you sent the snow east.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 pm

Well, we sure have plenty of snow here. Snowed all day. Happy to share it with you, joyous.
18F/-8C here, and our forecast for tonight says A 40 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 4am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. Wind chill values as low as zero. West wind 8 to 10 mph.
Tomorrow, we should have A slight chance of snow showers before 7am, then snow after 1pm. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as zero. Southwest wind 9 to 11 mph. Chance of precipitation of 80%. New snow accumulation possible.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:45 am

Got a little snow last night again. Chipper loves it! He roots his face through the fresh soft snow, several times, then roots in it a couple more times. Temperature here is 15F/-9C, and today's forecast says Snow after 4pm. High near 19. Southwest wind around 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total snowfall another 3 to 5 inches possible.
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:21 am

we did too LFF actually two different times. Once yesterday afternoon briefly to make the ground almost white then it turned colder. More flurries in the middle of the night. Right now it is sunny and 12 degrees.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 am

Our clouds stopped moving because there are brakes (breaks) in the clouds
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by joyous on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:00 pm

Weather:
Yes!
Same ole, same ole.
Lord, while I really am thankful that we haven't suffered an earthquake.
We haven't suffered a hurricane nor a tornado, nor a mudslide, okay, no
more complaining. Thank You, Father.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

Amen to that!
Glad E Olah
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by Glad E Olah on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:35 am

cloudy with temp of 28....they say we will get freezing rain around 6 pm.....I am going to work soon and bet the store will be crowded. I will be home around noon or 1 pm so all should be fine.
lightfootfan
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

Post by lightfootfan on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 am

18F/-8C here this morning. Received another couple inches of fluffy light snow last night. Chipper loves it! He woke me at 5 to go out this morning to root through the snow, and roll in it.

Oh! Our forecast says Scattered snow showers before 10am, then scattered flurries between 10am and 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22. West northwest wind 3 to 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%. And, Snow, mainly after 1am. Low around 16. Calm wind becoming east northeast around 5 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of another couple of inches tonight.
joyous
*WRITER*
*WRITER*

weather

Post by joyous on Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:33 pm

I feel guilty for complaining about snow, then when it snows, I complain again.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 21, 2018 3:21 pm